We released 3 public beta versions of Genymotion Desktop 3.1.0, and we want to thank all our beta testers for their feedback. They greatly helped improve and make this upgrade even more stable.
This version brings a large number of updates to our rendering stack, improving performances with the latest versions of Android, especially on macOS.
Rewritten camera widget
Version 3.1.0 comes with a rewrite of our camera support and a simplified widget. This rewrite offers better performance and fixes the camera on macOS Catalina.
Speaking of macOS Catalina, Genymotion Desktop now supports the new macOS permission system: virtual devices ask for permissions to use the camera and microphone in a timely fashion, and detect when permissions are being granted while running.
User interface improvements
The installation of virtual devices has been moved to a separate wizard, accessible through the new “+” floating action button sitting above the virtual device list. This brings a tidier, cleaner look and highly reduces CPU usage of the application.
The user interface received lots of small touch-ups:
- On Windows and Linux, the Device Manager got its menu bar moved to the toolbar, saving vertical space.
- The Emulator has been updated as well: we reorganized the widgets in the toolbar, streamlined the layout of most widgets and refreshed the navigation icons.
- We reworked the keyboard shortcuts to make them easier to use and remember. We carefully chose them to match their widget as much as possible and to avoid conflicts with your operating system shortcuts.
- The title of the Emulator window is now more useful, giving you individual information (IP, device name) about the device first. We also removed the duplicated title from widgets, making them smaller and cleaner.
- Finally, we improved VirtualBox error messages, making it easier for you and our support team to fix problems.
This version removes support for the “–cloud” option of gmtool. It has been superseded by our new gmsaas tool.
This version also removes support for Android versions older than 4.4.